The crazy Italian bureaucracy: visa and residence permit Living in Rome

1/21/2010 by Anna Turenko Ukraine

If everyone in Italy would document their experiences with Italian bureaucracy chances are that they would all be completely different. This is down to one reason…unpredictable Italian officers.
Even if official rules do exist it’s very difficult to find out from officers who seem to do their best to keep you in the dark about them. And so what are you supposed to do to apply for the Italian residence permit for instance? This it seems could depend on possible important variables like the officer’s mood, officer’s spouse’s mood, the weather, phases of the Moon.
Given the whimsical nature of Italian bureaucracy it’s a different area to write about but based on my own experience, I will attempt here to just give you an idea how things could run smoother in these matters if the bureaucracy in this sunny country was a bit more precise.
First of all, according to the law, you should register yourself at a police station if you are going to stay in Italy for more than 8 days. On the other hand, according to a flirty policeman in one of the stations, it is not necessary – as no one cares about the temporary registration. Anyway, if you want to do everything right – go to the police station (Questura). You can find addresses of the stations at the web site:
More importantly for those who are going to stay in Italy for more than 3 months is the permanent residence permit (permesso di soggiorno). To apply for it you have to go to the Immigration Office at Via Teofilo Patini. For EU citizens it is easy enough to get the Italian residence permit: you have to sign up to a population accounting (iscrizione all’anagrafe), filling the form from the web site and explain your reason of staying in Italy (work or studying), demonstrating proper documents. Plus, you can be asked to provide information about your financial status and insurance.
Everything is much more complicated if you are a non-EU citizen (extracomunitario). In this case you have to apply through a post office (if you came to Italy to study or to work) or through the Immigration office (if you are married to an Italian citizen). You will be asked to attach everything you can attach to prove your reason to stay (marriage certificate or work/study agreement, passport, registration in your home country, address and a rent agreement of your Italian place of staying). Don’t forget to translate and notarize your non-Italian documents.

Anna Turenko Ukraine

Sorry, you must sign in to Leave your comment

Forgot your password? | Join us it's free

the international voice